Friday, March 23, 2012

Symmetry Art and An Award!!

Whoohoo! It's Friday!! 

Okay so this week was the start of fourth quarter here in Hawaii. In the third grade we rotate classes for science, social studies, art, and health. This is so helpful when it comes to planning and grading (although after seeing such wonderful ideas on other blogs, it makes me want to teach all subjects to my kids!). Anyways..This quarter I'm teaching Art. I love to incorporate math into art! My kids worked on using pattern blocks to create pieces of art that had rotational symmetry.  Here are a few examples:



This took awhile though, because they needed to explore with the blocks then transfer it to a piece of paper by tracing, outlining, then coloring. 

SO I was in search of a simpler option. I then remembered a project I had done in high school and I got an idea for my art project. Playing off of the pattern block rotational symmetry, the students are going to be creating mandalas to show rotational symmetry. 

I used a circle template I made and cut them up into fourths (great fraction review with kids). Then guided the kids to draw designs on their 1/4 piece (not too detailed) They then need to outline both sides with a sharpie (thick sharpies work best). Once this is done, they get their own circle template that they must cut out neatly and carefully. Once this is done, they fold it into fourths. They must now use the 1/4 piece as a template and put it under their circle so that they can trace with pencil. Once done, FLIP the template over, place in the next space and trace. FLIP again, trace FLIP again and trace your final piece. When done it should look like this: (well these aren't the complete versions but works in progress)



I was hoping that we'd have time to finish today but we ran out of time :(

In other news, I got hit by two wonderful bloggers with an award!! 

Amy at The Crazy Adventures of a University Grad and Heather at Beg, Borrow, and Teach awarded me with The Lovely Blog Award!
 I want to thank these wonderful ladies for making my day!! I happened to check my blog at lunch and wanted you to know that you brought joy to my heart, I was so excited!! 

I only recently discovered Amy's blog and learned that she is working as a teacher on call!  Her blog posts are already great, and I can't imagine how lucky her future class will be. Amy, will you please come and be my on call teacher?! haha. 

Heather is a fellow third grade teacher :) I recently found her in the upper grades linky party! She is another amazing blogger who shares tons of great ideas and resources! 

If you aren't already following these two ladies..please rush on over and do so now :) 

Just as we expect our students to do, blog awards also have rules to follow:

1. Link back to the blogger who awarded you.
2. Follow the blogger who sent it to you.
3. Pass the award onto 15 other lovely bloggers.

Well, as all avid blog stalkers readers know, there are so many great blogs out there and this is a TOUGH job but here they are: 

3. Christi at Ms. Fultz's Corner
5.Courtney at Swimming INto Second
7. Melissa at Life's a Teach!
8. Heather at Heather's Heart 
11. Mrs. Tolbert at Daisy Days for Learning
12. Katherine at Third Grade Teacher Files
14. Nicole at Teaching with Style!
15. Wendy at One Happy Teacher

Stop on over and start following these lovely ladies and their lovely blogs :D I'm off to cook some dinner...

Look forward to my garage sale finds tomorrow...I found a retired teacher who is selling her lot!! Can't wait!!



Glitter Words

9 comments:

  1. Thank you Courtney! I'm now following your blog.

    Swimming into Second

    ReplyDelete
  2. Be a teacher on call in Hawaii?? Where do I sign up?? Can I come now please? I would absolutely love to be your personal substitute teacher.
    I am jealous that you get to teach art for full quarter, that sounds like a lot of fun. I really like how the rotational art is turning out, I can wait to see the finished product.

    Amy
    The Crazy Adventures of a University Graduate

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey! Sorry it's taken me so long to respond to your comment - it's been BUS-AY!

    I didn't exactly choose to go to third grade. I was reasonably happy in fourth. But my principal, in all his wisdom, saw a new test coming. This year in Texas, we have a new state test. Next year is the year it will count against us if we don't do well. So he wanted us to have two years with the kids, to move with them up to fourth grade for next year. So, here I am. I've enjoyed it, but there are significant differences. Maturity, of course is different. There are also a LOT more standards to teach in fourth than in third. So it's a trade-off, really. I have enjoyed both. We'll see how I feel about fourth next year when I move up! Thanks for following!
    Buzzing with Ms. B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the award! Oh and can i just say I am super jealous about living in Hawaii! My sister and brother-in-law live on Oahu, he is in the Air Force. I went and visited them this summer and I really contemplated staying and finding a job. I came back to NC eventually though, what was I thinking?!? haha!

    Adventures of a Third Grade Teacher

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! I also live on Oahu!! Hehe..you should totally move out here, I could even get you a job at my school!! AND there's a third grade position available!! I would absolutely love to work with you :D

      Does your sister have children? I work at a military school too :)

      Delete
  5. Thanks for the shout out! I am a follower now! =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE the symmetry! I'm on transformations right now so this will tie in perfectly!

    ReplyDelete